Senior Graphic Designer
Senior Graphic Designer
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
$53,927.00 - $82,543.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 08/13/12
CLOSING DATE: 08/27/12 04:30 PM
LOCATION: Heywood Office & Oper Facility, Minneapolis
Recruitment Type: Open Competitive. The following is open to internal and external applicants.
Metro Transit, the largest provider of transit service in the Twin Cities and one of the country's largest public transportation systems, is looking for a senior designer. We operate local and express bus service along with rail service – the Hiawatha Line, Northstar Commuter Rail and in 2014, the Green Line between Minneapolis and St. Paul. We also provide resources for carpooling, vanpooling and bike commuting. We have an immediate opening for a senior designer to work in Creative Services within the marketing department to continue to build our brand through clear, compelling graphics. The Senior Graphic Designer is responsible for developing customer-focused concepts in a deadline-driven environment. This person is responsible for maintaining visual brand consistency, advocating effectively for design concepts and assisting in the delivery of in-house design and production for print campaigns, internal communications and online promotions.
Please attach a PDF file of your resume and three samples of your recent work to your application.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Conceptualize and create advanced design solutions for a variety of media, including print, web, video and emerging media; translate these solutions into production-ready formats/files.
• Art direct inhouse graphic designers and/or outside vendors including freelance designers, photographers, illustrators, etc.
• Collaborate with Marketing staff, internal departments and Council staff to create fresh solutions to communication challenges and provide a design-focused perspective.
• Apply standards of quality and consistency for Metro Transit's brand/identity across all platforms, including vehicle graphics, environmental graphics and signage.
• Serve as final sign-off for visual brand elements.
• Monitor and analyze graphics team performance; coordinate efficient workflow.
• Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual arts or related discipline and 5-8 years of experience in creative design
• Must have at least one year of experience in leading a work team
• Must have proven experience in presenting to clients/stakeholders
• Must have professional-level experience with Macintosh OS and peripherals, Adobe Creative Suite 5+, HTML/CSS and Microsoft Office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of graphic design principles, wide variety of media production and color photographic and conventional and digital print processes.
• Knowledge of current and past design styles and trends. Knowledge of paper types, weighs, sizes, finishes, grain and how these affect printing.
• Knowledge of printing terms, techniques and processes, such as die-cutting, varnishing, ink types, scoring, folding, stitching and binding.
• Knowledge of video capture and editing.
• Knowledge of postal regulations affecting design of mail pieces.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical documents.
• Skill in verbal communication and listening.
• Skill in strong, conceptual design abilities.
• Ability to develop strong creative concepts and translate them visually.
• Skilled in using audiovisual technologies, animation, digital photography and other multimedia techniques.
• Foundational understanding of business practices (budgets and profit-loss concepts).
• Outstanding communications skills. Must be able to communicate visually, verbally and writing. Must be able to present effectively and advocate clearly for design concepts to colleagues and stakeholders
• Excellent analytical skills for visual information design.
• Knowledge of design and presentation software packages to include Adobe Creative Suite 5+, HTML/CSS and Microsoft Office.
FLSA Status: Non- Exempt
Selection Process: Candidates will be referred to the hiring supervisor for consideration based on the results of the following:
• Education and Experience Rating (review of application materials)
• Evaluation of sample work
• Oral Interview
• Selection Interview
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at 612-349-7558.
- or -